Help Police Solve a Crime
The Simpsonville Police Department depends on the citizens to help solve crimes. In order to provide assistance to our officers we ask that you follow the below recommendations.
Most importantly, in order to stay safe we ask that you do not intervene. In other words, be a good witness. The information you provide could lead to the arrest and prosecution of criminal activity.
When should you call the police? Below are some examples of the types of situations that citizens should consider calling the police to investigate.
If you see suspicious activity like a stranger walking around a neighbor's home, an unfamiliar vehicle parked in a suspicious location or circling your neighborhood, someone you do not recognize walking through yards...etc. please call.
If you observe an activity like those listed above or anything that is out of the "norm" please call the police at either 911 or 864-967-9536. Don't consider it a waste of time to report. You just might prevent a crime from happening.
What to expect when you call? Below are some things to think about when you call the police. The faster we receive the information the quicker we can respond.
Be prepared to answer the following questions, if possible and without placing yourself at any risk.
- Give your location- the more specific the better.
- Describe the vehicle in as much detail as possible to include make, model, color, tag number and anything unusual about the car like tinted windows.
- Describe the suspect(s) as much as possible to include race, height, weight, hair color, clothing, facial hair, and if they are carrying anything. Also any unusual characteristics like limping, talking to themselves or acting strange and especially if they have a weapon.
- For both of the above, please give a direction of travel and the last time you saw them in minutes.
- Stay on the phone as long as you are asked, as long as you see the suspects or until the police arrive.
- If this is a common occurrence like heavy traffic to a home then keep a ledger with as much detail as possible to include the information above with times and dates.
You can remain anonymous when calling or reporting crime or suspicious activity. Information regarding crimes committed can also be reported to Crimestoppers at 23-CRIME or the Simpsonville Police Department at (864) 967-9536.