Frequently Asked Questions

How do I Report an Incident or Crime?

If you have an emergency call 911 immediately.

If the incident is of a serious nature or if the crime has already occurred and it occurred within the City Limits, call the non-emergency number at (864) 967-9536.

Before calling the non-emergency phone number please determine if the incident occurred within the city limits. If it occurred in Greenville County you will need to contact the Greenville County Sheriff’s Office at: 864-271-5210.

When should you call 911?

When there is an emergency, lives are in danger, serious injury, serious medical condition, crime in progress, fire, or any other situation needing immediate emergency attention.

What should you do if you see a crime occurring?

  • Call 911 immediately.
  • What is the address or location?
  • Be observant and make mental notes.
  • Are there any weapons, drugs or alcohol involved?
  • Any physical characteristics such as height, weight, race, beard, or scars?
  • Any clothing description?
  • How many people involved?
  • Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle?
  • Are there any hazards that responding units need to be aware of? (power lines, fluid leaks, loose animals in the house)

Do I have to give my name when I call 911?

If you wish to remain anonymous or keep information confidential just tell the operator.

How do I leave a Crime Tip?

Call Crime Stoppers at 23-CRIME (864-232-7463). If your tip leads to an arrest, you could receive a substantial reward. You will be given a confidential number which is the only trace of identification provided to both informants and officers. No names are required or given. If your information leads to an arrest, you will be given a check from the Crime Stoppers organization. This check is left at a local bank with only numbers to indicate the recipient.

How do I Thank or Commend an Officer?

We appreciate your interest in commending the actions of one of our Officers or employees. It is much appreciated. To do so you can:

  1. Call (864) 967-9536 and ask to speak to the employee's supervisor and verbally communicate your praise.
  2. You can write a letter to Chief Mike Hanshaw 405 E Curtis St. Simpsonville, SC 29681
  3. You can e-mail the Chief of Police at mhanshaw@simpsonvillepd.com  include your name and address. Commendations received by the Chief of Police will result in advising the employee of your gratitude, and the commendation will be permanently recorded in the employee's personnel file. If the action is sufficiently praiseworthy, additional recognition may be given.
  4. You can complete the online form under the Commendation/Complaint Tab.

Thank you for taking the time to thank an Officer!

How can I file a Complaint about an Officer?

The Police Department encourages anyone who believes they have a valid complaint against an employee of this agency to file a report. We believe in the integrity of this department that is founded on a history of honor and professionalism. All allegations of misconduct will be thoroughly investigated. Only by becoming aware of improprieties by our employees can we take the necessary corrective and/or disciplinary action to ensure that this Department maintains the high standards we support and represent. If you believe you have a valid complaint, please come to the Simpsonville Police Department at 405 E Curtis Street Simpsonville, SC 29681 and ask for the on-duty supervisor. Or you can go to the home page and click on the Commendation/Complaint icon and follow the steps.

How can I check for registered SC sex offenders?

In order to maintain awareness of sex offenders living in your neighborhood, the Greenville County Sherriff's Office has added a Sex Offender Registry to their website. The registry will allow you to enter any local address. It will then provide a list of all registered Greenville County sex offenders living within a one-mile radius within the boundaries of Greenville County. If you are looking for information about a particular sex offender, registered in Greenville County, the registry can help there as well.

You can also visit the S.L.E.D. Sex Offender Registry to search for a registered sex offender.

How can I get my property back if it was recovered stolen or seized as evidence?

To retrieve evidence, a person must have a court order or written authorization from the arresting officer or detective in the case. Bring the court order or written authorization along with a photo identification and the case number to Property & Evidence. If you are picking up a car, gun, or money, please call in advance. The number is 864-688-1139. The Property & Evidence Unit is located at the police department. They are open from 8am until 4pm Monday through Friday.

My Car was towed. How do I get it back?

The Simpsonville Police keeps a record of all vehicle tows within the City limits that were involved in a traffic accident or traffic stop, abandoned on public property or illegally parked on public property in the dispatch center. Call 864-967-9536.

I have a question concerning a City Ordinance Code. Where can I find the Ordinance?


How can I contact a specific Officer?

To contact a specific Police Officer call the SPD non-emergency line at 864-967-9536. Be prepared to give the operator the Officer's name or unit number, the case number (if applicable), your contact information and reason for the call.

The operator will take a message and forward it to the Officer if they are on duty at the time of the call. The Officer will return your call as soon as possible.

If they are not on duty, the operator may be able to advise you when they are scheduled to return to work and you will need to call back during that time. Operators will not contact Officers who are off duty. Most Officers work rotating 12-hour shifts (day shift or night shift), 2 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off and so forth, so it can be several days before they are back on duty.

Please be aware that due to patrol requirements, it is often impossible for an Officer to immediately return your call.

It is against Department policy for operators to release phone numbers for individual Officers.

How do I get a copy of my Police report?

Contact the Public Records Division at 864-228-2595 and they can assist you with obtaining a copy of your incident report. It generally takes 3 to 5 business days after an incident for a report to be ready. When your copy is ready, you can pick up it up at the Law Enforcement Center located at 405 E Curtis Street Simpsonville SC, 29681, Monday thru Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm.

How can I find out if someone has been arrested or is in jail?

The Greenville County Detention Center has a website with useful information including allowing you to check online to see if someone has been incarcerated. Go to Detention Center website

My family/friend is over-due and I'm worried about them. Can you tell me if they were in an accident?

Unfortunately, the Police Department dispatchers will seldom be able to advise if your over-due friend or loved one has been involved in an accident. The Police dispatchers handle vehicle accidents 24 hours per day, 7 day per week and there are just too many to be able to quickly identify each and every accident which has occurred. In addition, dispatch does not record the names of the individuals involved - only the vehicle descriptions and if they were towed. Detailed information is taken by the Officer on the scene and dispatch does not have immediate access to that data.

Another problem is the accident could have occurred anywhere along the expected route of your over-due person, usually over-lapping several jurisdictions which would have responded to the accident.

We often suggest that you call all of the area hospitals and see if they have been admitted. This is a more effective way of finding out of someone has been injured in an accident which occurred somewhere in the local area.

What to do during a traffic stop?

When a Police Officer signals for you to pull over:

  • Pull over as far to the right as safely possible. This allows the officer to walk safely to your car.
  • Turn off the ignition.
  • If the traffic stop occurs at night, turn on the interior lights of your car so the officer can see.
  • Place your hands on the steering wheel until the officer can make a safety evaluation as he/she approaches your car.
  • Avoid making any sudden or reaching movements.
  • Always follow the officer's instructions.
  • Please stay in your vehicle unless directed by the officer to get out of your car.
  • Do not assume that the officer knows that you are the perfect, law-abiding citizen. Law Enforcement can be dangerous work. Officers must be cautious at all times.
  • If you are carrying a weapon advise the officer of the weapon and its location. Do Not attempt to retrieve the weapon for the officer.
  • Being stopped at night, particularly along a dark stretch of road, can heighten the tension for a motorist and an officer. Officers do not object to drivers proceeding to the nearest well lit area. Simply acknowledge the officer by turning on your flashers and drive at a reduced speed.
  • If asked to step out of the car, walk to the rear of your vehicle to the side away from the traffic, or as directed by the officer, using the car as a barrier between you and on-coming cars.
  • The officer will ask you for three important pieces of information, your driver’s license, automobile registration, and proof of insurance. The officer will explain the reason for the traffic stop.
  • Please do not attempt to argue with the officer. This may only increase the tension in an already stressful situation.
  • Depending upon why the officer felt it was necessary to initiate a traffic stop you may, or may not, be given a citation, warning ticket, or verbal warning. If you receive a citation you will be advised of a court date, which allows you the opportunity to take your case before a judge. Certain traffic violations require that if charged you are taken into custody and must appear before a magistrate.

Once business with the officer is finished, you should merge, with caution, back into the flow of traffic.

In addition to the above, here are some other recommendations that we call “Best Practices for interacting with a police officer.”

The most dangerous thing a police officer does on a daily basis is to conduct a traffic stop.  It is dangerous because of the unknown factors.  With that said, here is a list of things you should do if you are pulled over by the police:

  1. Do not make any sudden movements
  2. Verbalize to the officer your intentions before you make any movements and get the OK
  3. Do not exit the vehicle, unless directed to do so by the officer
  4. Roll the driver’s side window all the way down
  5. Turn down your radio
  6. If at night, turn on the interior light in your vehicle
  7. Put your hands in a position where they can be visible to the officers as he/she approaches you.  Make sure your hands are empty, if possible.
  8. Have your Vehicle Registration & Proof of Insurance somewhere close by to retrieve at the command of the officer.  (preferred location is in a pouch on your sun visor, so it is not in an area that items such as a firearm may be stored)
  9. Do not argue with the officer on the side of the road, that is not the time or place.  That is what court is for.

If you are a female traveling alone and you are being stopped during the evening hours in a rural and/or poorly lit area please do the following:

  1. Turn on your emergency hazards to acknowledge the officer
  2. Slow your speed down and proceed to a well-lit area
  3. Turn on the interior lights
  • Call 911 and tell the dispatcher you are a female traveling alone and you have an officer behind you attempting to pull you over.  Let them know you are not trying to flee, but you do not feel safe and want to pull over in a well-lit area.  Ask the dispatcher if this is one of their officers behind you (give your location and vehicle description). 

NOTE: This is not a state law, but merely a courtesy that some officers allow to make females feel more comfortable. Once the 911 dispatcher confirms that it is a law enforcement officer behind you, it is recommended to pull over. 

If you are lawfully carrying a concealed weapon (i.e. Current CWP holder that is armed) you must do the following when pulled over by the police: 

  1. Give the CWP to the police officer along with your driver’s license
  2. Two times when you must present a CWP if you are armed with a firearm: a.)When the person identifies themselves as a law enforcement officer. b.)When the officer request identification or a driver’s license.
  3. Verbally make the officer aware of where your firearm is concealed without making any movements to reveal, brandish or touch the firearm.
  4. Following directions after you told the officer you are armed is crucial for your safety as well as the safety of the officer.


Click here to download a printable notecard with the above information.

How do I get Involved and Volunteer?

The Simpsonville Police Department seeks out positive partnerships with the citizens of the city of Simpsonville and the surrounding area.  If you would like to be on a list to be called whenever a volunteer opportunity arises please contact the police department at 864-228-2595.

Does arrest or bench warrants expire?

Warrants of arrest, which include both arrest and bench warrants, have no expiration date. They are cleared only when abated by death or when a defendant appears before a judge in the court that issued the warrant.

Where can I pay a ticket?

Fines are not paid at the Simpsonville Police Department.  You must go to the Clerk of Courts Office, which is located at:
    Simpsonville City Hall
    118 NE Main Street
    Simpsonville, SC 29681

How do I get fingerprinted?

If you need your fingerprints taken for license, business or employment purposes, please come to the rear entrance of the Simpsonville Police Department, 405 E. Curtis Street, Simpsonville, SC 29681, M-F 7:00am thru 7:00pm.  Or call after hours to see if an officer can be available (864-967-9536) to take your fingerprints.  There is a $5.00 charge for all fingerprints (per person printed, per visit).

I lost my traffic citation, what do I do?

If you lost your traffic citation, you need to contact the courts for information to resolve your ticket. You can obtain court information by visiting the Simpsonville Municipal Court Website.

Can I tow a vehicle parked on private property that belongs to me?

Yes, you can have a vehicle towed that is parked in your lot without your permission.  Understand this two will be at your own expense unless you work out another arrangement with the tow truck company.  The Simpsonville Police Department will not be involved in towing vehicles from private property lots

Latest News & Events

"Cras convallis pharetra nisl, eget dignissim enim tincidunt vitae. Nulla tempor vehicula mi, a bibendum nibh dapibus sit amet. Fusce varius ipsum ut lectus fringilla pulvinar"

"Cras convallis pharetra nisl, eget dignissim enim tincidunt vitae. Nulla tempor vehicula mi, a bibendum nibh dapibus sit amet. Fusce varius ipsum ut lectus fringilla pulvinar"

"Cras convallis pharetra nisl, eget dignissim enim tincidunt vitae. Nulla tempor vehicula mi, a bibendum nibh dapibus sit amet. Fusce varius ipsum ut lectus fringilla pulvinar"

"Cras convallis pharetra nisl, eget dignissim enim tincidunt vitae. Nulla tempor vehicula mi, a bibendum nibh dapibus sit amet. Fusce varius ipsum ut lectus fringilla pulvinar"

"Cras convallis pharetra nisl, eget dignissim enim tincidunt vitae. Nulla tempor vehicula mi, a bibendum nibh dapibus sit amet. Fusce varius ipsum ut lectus fringilla pulvinar"